binutils-pass1 doesn't get build

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 21 07:10:29 PDT 2006

Michiel Faber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am following this list for several months now and finally started a
> jhalfs build today. I wanted to see if the readme and config files are
> clear to me, seeing the recent discussion.
>
> I downloaded the jhalfs tarbal, unpacked it, and changed letter size to
> A4, changed the LANG variable and set /mnt/lfs as build dir.
>
> than i did: ./lfs -G
>
> changed dir to /mnt/lfs/jhalfs
>
> and did: sudo make

<snip>

> I can see in /mnt/lfs/sources that the binutils tarbal is unpacked, but
> there is now binutils-build dir. And the tools dir is also empty.
>
> What am i doing wrong here?
   Everything looks fine. Those commands should have produced a usable
Makefile.I duplicated your commands and have no problem .. this may be
unique to Unbuntu. Directory permissions should be ok but check that
mnt/lfs/sources permission is 1777

   Could you tell me the contents of...
   jhalfs/envars
   lfs-commands/chapter05/028-binutils-pass1 ( there should be the cmd
mkdir -v ..binutils-build )