jhalfs & package.xsl

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 20 14:12:07 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Martes, 20 de Junio de 2006 21:19, George Boudreau escribió:
>> Manuel,
>>   I have integrated you package extraction xsl file into jhalfs. This
>> turned out to be a much larger job than I had expected. I have tested
>> the modifications with lfs and hlfs but have not done a full build of
>> clfs x86 (the only arch I can work with).
>>
>>   I will upload the mods this evening..
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> The question is, will that new code help us to avoid issues like the laters
> ones with linux-headers, tree and clfs-bootscripts packages?

   The problem of file names surfaces when the chapter name does not
match the tarball name.  We are able to strip miscellaneous information
from the chapter name and look for a tarball with that text. This is an
acceptable practice for 95% of the chapters but there are issues.
   Even with the 'new and improved' system we have to deal with chapter
names that do not directly translate into tarball names.
   CLFS
   xxx-bootscripts (bootscripts-cross-lfs)  plus many others
   HLFS has
   xxx-gcc but they want gcc-core-4.1.1

   I don't think we will ever be able to eliminate the tweaking of
tarball names unless we look at all of the books and come up with a
common method to describe what file(s) are necessary for a given
chapter. (oh no.. not more xsl work) Then you would only need to do a
lookup of the chapter name and retrieve the tarball name(s).
   HLFS currently uses gcc-core-x.x.x but if they change over to the
full gcc package we will have to do an intervention to correct the
current 'hack'. The proposed method would be transparent to tarball name
changes.
    Chap       tarball
   xxx-gcc  gcc-core-4.1.1.tar.bz2
   xxx-gcc  gcc-4.1.1.tar.bz2