BLFS install tracking

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 14 13:44:25 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Miércoles, 14 de Junio de 2006 19:52, George Boudreau escribió:
>
> The user may want to reinstall some of them to satisfy circular dependencies
> or to upgrade to a new version, Then he need to know if the
> relevant /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS/xxx need be deleted and the Makefile
> regenerated.
>
>> The resulting makefile touches a file for each new package installed.
>>    (We don't want to re-invent the wheel and create a full package
>> manager for BLFS do we?)
>
> Not, but we need to allow the users to can create a full GNOME desktop system
> in small chunks instead to force it to review/edit in one session all that
> amount of build scripts required to run a gnome-full Makefile.
>
> Some way to can compare installed versions with current book versions will be
> nice, but not required for the current POC code, IMHO.

   Could you extract the package version number and place it in the
build script as a variable ie: PKG_VERSION=1.2.3 . I could extract the
value and use it when the makefile is created for version comparison.
When the makefile is run it could
   touch /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS/pkgname-$PKG_VERSION

   It is not necessary to utilize the version number today but it would
be nice for the future..