BLFS install tracking

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 14 12:22:57 PDT 2006

El Miércoles, 14 de Junio de 2006 19:52, George Boudreau escribió:
> Manuel,
>    The TODO list has an entry for tracking previously installed
> packages. Currently I touch a file /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS/xxx for each
> package installed

That looks fine for now.

> and when a new package makefile is created if a
> dependency is already installed it is not included in the new makefile.

Some way to can output on the screen the list of skipped packages could be
needed.

The user may want to reinstall some of them to satisfy circular dependencies
or to upgrade to a new version, Then he need to know if the
relevant /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS/xxx need be deleted and the Makefile
regenerated.

> The resulting makefile touches a file for each new package installed.
>    (We don't want to re-invent the wheel and create a full package
> manager for BLFS do we?)

Not, but we need to allow the users to can create a full GNOME desktop system
in small chunks instead to force it to review/edit in one session all that
amount of build scripts required to run a gnome-full Makefile.

Some way to can compare installed versions with current book versions will be
nice, but not required for the current POC code, IMHO.

>   Cons:
> .  The tracking is only done when the makefile is created. If you rerun
> an old makefile it will run normally because it has no knowledge of
> previously installed packages.

No problem. In that hypothetical scenario, the user could regenerate that old
Makefile to keep it updated. (If the user have an old Makefile, he must have
also the associated build scripts).

> .  The BLFS scripting system does not play well with other methods. ie:
> if you manually install a package there is no automatic install
> tracking. (as with any package manager system)

The user can allways to create manually the required /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS/xxx
files to keep that "database" up-to-date.

That looks like an improvemment over package managers ;-)

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia