BLFS install tracking

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 14 10:52:02 PDT 2006

Manuel,
   The TODO list has an entry for tracking previously installed
packages. Currently I touch a file /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS/xxx for each
package installed and when a new package makefile is created if a
dependency is already installed it is not included in the new makefile.
The resulting makefile touches a file for each new package installed.
   (We don't want to re-invent the wheel and create a full package
manager for BLFS do we?)

  Pros:
   ???

  Cons:
.  The tracking is only done when the makefile is created. If you rerun
an old makefile it will run normally because it has no knowledge of
previously installed packages.
.  The BLFS scripting system does not play well with other methods. ie:
if you manually install a package there is no automatic install
tracking. (as with any package manager system)

Note: It is possible to install tracking inside the makefile, to check
for previous package installs.