progress_bar.. improving the accuracy

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 10 04:20:24 PDT 2006

El Sábado, 10 de Junio de 2006 05:34, George Boudreau escribió:
> Manuel,
>
>    I see you are trying to fine tune the delay variable, compensate for
> bash overhead. I did not know you wanted a precise time display so I
> never validated the timestamp.. it looked close enough for government
> work :-) However it lost time even on my machine.

Well, accuracy isn't the goal, but the previous version was loosing 16 secs.
each minute on my machine, and that looks excessive to me ;-)

>    I have included a different concept for the progress bar. Instead of
> counting seconds via timed loop just use the bash internal variable
> $SECONDS.

Great.

>    notes::
>    Occasionally you will see an empty space in the progress bar and that
> is due to the priority assigned to unpacking a large package. Since we
> are using actual seconds and not counts the space will be 'missed'
> seconds.

In my tests the blank space in printed aprox. each 30-80 seconds, depending on
CPU load. Looks like it's auto-adjusting the cursor speed and the time
counter to the system clock.

Using any sleep value <= .13 there is no blank spaces (the same position is
drawed two times when the adjusting occurs) and the time counter keep
accurate with system clock.

I will commit it with sleep .12, that looks more failsafe, after build some
more targets.

>    Does this method have holes.. possibly.

Don't found any hole yet ;-)

--