nALFS and problem unmounting /dev

Dermot Bradley bradley at tangram.nildram.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 20:49:10 PST 2006

I've been using nALFS for quite some time with my own LFS/HLFS derived
profiles.

In the past 6-8 months or so (don't remember exactly when) I started to
have the problem that at the end of my profile (i.e. after Ch6. and after
kernel build) when my profile tidied things up outside of the $LFS chroot
location it suddenly became unable to "umount $LFS/dev", it gave a "device
busy" error. There's no problem unmounting dev/pts, dev/shm, proc, or sys
and back some time ago it all worked fine..........I'm guessing that its
due to some udev-related change (the unmounting problem only starts after
udev is build so its obviously happened after udev populated dev/ inside
the chroot environment).

Any suggestions how to force an umount of $LFS/dev/ ?