OT: /etc files

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Jan 15 11:34:57 PST 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>>"It is recommended that applications that have multiple configuration or
>>related files store these files in subdirectories of /etc rather than
>>directly in /etc."
>

> Perhaps you can submit this to the writers of the FHS then. :)

Yeah.  The discussion led me to look at the files in /etc and I was just
looking at blkid.tab too.  This is a part of e2fsprogs.  The
documentation says it is a cache file. IMO the file should go into
/var/cache.  Looking at the package, there are 6 files that need to be
changed, including doc files.  There is really only one line that has to
be changed in a .h file to move the file, but an error message in a .c
file would be consistent.
I'm glad I didn't send this as above.  I googled a bit and found out
that blkid.tab may be necessary for mounting partitions with LABEL= in
the fstab entries.  Since /etc is required on the root filesystem and
/var is not, it could lead to a deadlock.  The same reasoning is used
for /etc/ld.so.cache.

I'm learning new things today.  This is good.

  -- Bruce