jhalfs.conf

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Jan 15 10:39:52 PST 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#FTN.AEN540

Just conversation--not a jhalfs issue.

This link was a bit difficult for me to determine which footnote the
link was referring to.  The AEN550 reference was not very descriptive
and it didn't jump out to me on the page.  I did finally figure out it
was referring to footnote 5.

This link seems silly to me.  It says:

"It is recommended that files be stored in subdirectories of /etc rather
than directly in /etc.", but the main page says: "The /etc hierarchy
contains configuration files."  We know that there are a lot of .conf
files directly in /etc.  If there is only one configuration file
associated with an application, it seems counterproductive to put it
into a subdirectory.  It also goes against the normal usage.  On my
system, the only sub-directories or /etc that have only one file are
jhalfs and gsview.

In the main directory, there are two login files: login.access and
login.defs.  There are several network files: hosts, resolv.conf,
issue.net, rpc, protocols, and nsswitch.conf.  There are two library
files: ld.so.conf and ld.so.cache (perhaps the second should go in
/var/lib.)

In some cases, like jhalfs which has potential for several configuration
files, I can see putting related config files in a subdirectory, but a
blanket statement that subdirectories should be used differs from common
practice and is not reasonable.  A more reasonable statement would be:

"It is recommended that applications that have multiple configuration or
related files store these files in subdirectories of /etc rather than
directly in /etc."

  -- Bruce