jhalfs suggestion

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 13 09:42:57 PST 2006

El Jueves, 12 de Enero de 2006 23:36, Bruce Dubbs escribió:
> M.Canales.es wrote:

> >>===>  Insert here  [ -n $BOOK ] && WC=1
> >
> > With that $WC will be always set. Test it and you will see.

I meant that the proper syntax is:

[ -n "$BOOK" ] && WC=1

From http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/comparison-ops.html

-n    string is not "null".

The -n test absolutely requires that the string be quoted within the test
brackets. Using an unquoted string with ! -z, or even just the unquoted
string alone within test brackets (see Example 7-6) normally works, however,
this is an unsafe practice. Always quote a tested string.

> Arg.  Try:
>
> [ -z $BOOK ] || WC=1

That also could work, but I think that the current approach (defining WC in
jhalfs.conf, committed yesterday),  is safer.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia