it boots!

Dermot Bradley tangram at nildram.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 08:49:58 PST 2006

> Absolutely. In the end it's pretty simple, mainly use -Os for
> compilation, disable national language system (--disable-nls), remove
> time zones, and strip binaries aggressively.
>
> I was also hoping to be able to install the final gcc shtuff into
> /gcc/... instead of /usr/... so I could easily create a gcc-less image
> and rsync the gcc install on top when needed, but I got too confused by
> all the cross-compile paths and couldn't get it to work.

I've been working on a "mini" LFS-based system for a couple of years now.
At the minute its based on HLFS-uClibc and currently its 160Mb in size and
that's with MythTV, MySQL, QT, X.Org, Samba, etc.

I haven't tried using "-Os" so far but the other things you've mentioned I
already do.

I've had the dist smaller but that was before I added MythTV and all the
bits its depends on.