State of ALFS

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 3 14:56:26 PST 2006

Jamie Bennett wrote:

Good to see your around again, long time no see.

>>alfs development seems to have stalled a bit again, but we'll see if we
>>can't get that hopping again. We had some good progress on the
>>communication protocol, we may want to see if we can work on refining
>>that some, as well as work on some means of authentication next.
>

> Do we have a definitive answer documented on what the finished profile
> syntax is going to be? Also is there a todo list somewhere? bugzilla?
> Now that I'm back in the land of the connected it would be nice to get
> my teeth into something.
Nope I don't believe a definitive answer was reached on the profile
syntax, I think there was definite agreement on moving away from xml
though. So far there's no todo list, though one should probably be
created at some point.

On a side note, did you get any more work done on the POC code you
posted about on your blog a while back?

> I think along side the authentication work, some form of extensive
> logging should be thought about. Logging, especially in LFS and the land
> of ICA testing, is essential and the more detailed the logs are the more
> likely the new tool will be adopted by the mainstream LFS builders.

Agreed.

> I believe that with the work done on jhlfs it has shown that the correct
> way forward from here should be to auto-generate the profiles. A jhlfs
> Makefile->profile hack in perl/python would be all that is needed to
> generate the book profiles using jhlfs to download and parse the book.

I've been thinking along the same lines about that too, I know
preliminary support is being worked in for BLFS, don't know what the
plans are for CLFS. But I do agree auto generation is starting to be
more along the lines of the way to go.

Thomas