State of ALFS

Jamie Bennett jb at linuxuk.org
Tue Jan 3 12:04:13 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 17:25 -0500, Thomas Pegg wrote:
> Hello all, this is the first of hopefully a series of monthly (perhaps
> weekly) messages, giving a basic summary of where things stand within
> the ALFS project.

Good to hear.

> nALFS and alfs:
> Currently with nALFS, potentially a new 1.2.6 release will happen due to
> a recent report of some file corruption when using the [search_replace]
> element, plus a fix for display of line drawing characters when in UTF-8
>    mode.

Good call. Any bug as serious as this should warrant a point release.

> alfs development seems to have stalled a bit again, but we'll see if we
> can't get that hopping again. We had some good progress on the
> communication protocol, we may want to see if we can work on refining
> that some, as well as work on some means of authentication next.

Do we have a definitive answer documented on what the finished profile
syntax is going to be? Also is there a todo list somewhere? bugzilla?
Now that I'm back in the land of the connected it would be nice to get
my teeth into something.

I think along side the authentication work, some form of extensive
logging should be thought about. Logging, especially in LFS and the land
of ICA testing, is essential and the more detailed the logs are the more
likely the new tool will be adopted by the mainstream LFS builders.

> The Profiles

Snip.

I believe that with the work done on jhlfs it has shown that the correct
way forward from here should be to auto-generate the profiles. A jhlfs
Makefile->profile hack in perl/python would be all that is needed to
generate the book profiles using jhlfs to download and parse the book.

> Comments?

Keep up the good work ;)

> Thomas

Jamie