State of ALFS

Thomas Pegg tom at tpegg.org
Sun Jan 1 14:25:09 PST 2006

Hello all, this is the first of hopefully a series of monthly (perhaps
weekly) messages, giving a basic summary of where things stand within
the ALFS project.

nALFS and alfs:
Currently with nALFS, potentially a new 1.2.6 release will happen due to
a recent report of some file corruption when using the [search_replace]
element, plus a fix for display of line drawing characters when in UTF-8
   mode.

alfs development seems to have stalled a bit again, but we'll see if we
can't get that hopping again. We had some good progress on the
communication protocol, we may want to see if we can work on refining
that some, as well as work on some means of authentication next.

The Profiles:
I believe the LFS profile is lagging a little behind current trunk. The
profile for CLFS is progressing, still some work to be done and major
testing on arches I don't have available for testing, mainly all arches
other than x86 and x86_64.

Now for the BLFS profile, this beast needs major work, but really we
need more hands to help with it, myself and Joachim just is not enough
anymore. This brings another question do we want to keep maintaining
this profile? BLFS is such a fast moving target it seems a bit
impossible currently. I personally would like to see it continue, but I
currently have no time to keep up with it anymore, my plate is full
enough with LFS and CLFS and I know Joachim's time is limited.

Comments?

Thomas