Strange action when testing blfs_tool

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 29 22:41:14 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On 8/29/06, George Boudreau <georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>> Manuel,
>>    It took a while to remember, somewhere in the past I happened on a
>> similar problem.
> <snip>
>
> George,
>
> You should report this on the bash list. It seems like a bug to me.
> And if it's not, you can accept a cluebat blow for the rest of us. :)

The gurus have spoken and.. cluebats have been appropriately wielded :-)
Ouch! Details on the bug-bash list (or via Gmane if the gnu archives are
not yet updated). It essentially boils down to this sentence in TFM:

"The return status of AND and OR lists is the exit status of the last
command executed in the list."

Bottom line: it's just one of those counter-intuitive situations that
young players need to watch out for.

Regards
Greg
--