jhalfs-x: new Makefile scheme, update

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 26 06:26:49 PDT 2006

El Sábado, 26 de Agosto de 2006 15:00, George Boudreau escribió:
> Manuel,
>    I see you are having fun deleting all the hard work on the cmdline
> interface and config files, we are fickle programmers.

New ideas, new code from scratch ;-)

Remain yet to clean-up func_validate_config. Several chunks of very nice code
that now has been made obsolete by menuconfig should be deleted ...

>    Using LFS as a starting point, new makefile Status::  ugly, very ugly.
>
>    The SETUP phase was easy to isolate and run as root via su.
>
>    The LUSER phase is much uglier. We must know the password to the
> LUSER account to be able to login (obviously). We have been getting
> around this in the old original makefile by executing <sudo make>
>     By su'ing to LUSER we pick up .bashrc and only need to source envars
> for each package. However we loose our ability to track install size. (a
> priv issue I may be able to fix).
>
>    The CHROOT phase is causing problems.
>    1 Must call make directly instead of using $MAKE (poor programming)
>    2 Make looks for its shell in /bin/sh which does not exist in the
> chroot env (Hackish workaround, SHELL= /tools/bin/sh).
>    3 Chapter6/055-kernfs cannot be run from the chroot env because it
> binds to the host /dev.  (haven't fixed this one yet)
>    4 progress_bar.sh does not work in the chroot env fuser has not been
> created yet. (really miss this one)
>
>    The BOOT phase... not there yet.
>
>    Work continues but don't expect this change to be solid for a long time.

Not  good new :-/

Looks that that migration might be most hard to do than what we was thinking.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia