RFC: How to go from {C,H}LFS builds to BLFS builds

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 25 11:42:09 PDT 2006

El Viernes, 25 de Agosto de 2006 20:21, George Boudreau escribió:

> > The most "by the book" way is option 1, but that meant that the user
> > can't use their current host while building BLFS packages.
>
>    my opinion: This method covers all of the books build methods, chroot
> and boot minimal {CLFS}

And also CLFS2. To build BLFS packages using the --sysroot approach might be a
nightmare ;-)

Plus, that could be the most easy one to implement due that there will be no
need to exit/enter to/from the chroot and no need to test if the virtual
filesystems are mounted.

But may requires harcoded download commads and build scripts for the
dependencies.

Forgotten that all options requires manual blfs-tool reinstallation after
booting the LFS system and creating a normal user.

For most avanced users we could to add general notes about setting manually
ways 2 and 3.

As a note, before start playing with that on experimental maybe we should to
remove command line and config files support from that branch, simplifying
validation_conf() to that function actually required by menuconfig output.

That will avoid to have to test the new required envars under all
configuration approachs, and to evaluate if that removal is suitable for
trunk.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia