RFC: How to go from {C,H}LFS builds to BLFS builds

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 25 10:46:52 PDT 2006

This is a draft paper to start the discussion about how blfs-tool could be
integrated into jhalfs and what problems can be found.

First, we need to define on what non-LFS packages blfs-tool depends on.  I can
think on the following ones:

   - libxml >= 2.6.20 and libxslt >= 1.1.14 - Required to can parse the book
  sources
  - DocBook-XSL-1.69.1 - Required to can generate linear HTML books
  - a web browser - Required to can read linear HTML books
  - wget - Optional to download required packages and patches at build
  run-time
  - svn client - Optional to update book sources (at this moment is required
  only when installing the blfs-tool files)

Second, I see three different installation scenarios:

  1. - Installing blfs-tool and its dependencies into $BUILD_DIR to can start
  using it after booting the new LFS system
  2.-  Installing blfs-tool and its dependencies into $BUILD_DIR to can use it
  into the chroot
  3.-   Installing blfs-tool into $BUILD_DIR, running the menuconfig from the
  host and the build Makefile from inside chroot

The most "by the book" way is option 1, but that meant that the user can't use
their current host while building BLFS packages.

Option 2 follow in part the "by the book" spirit and allow to use the host
while the build Makefile is working. But we should to know what BLFS
packages, if any, can't be build into the chroot.

Option 3 has the advantage over 2 that blfs-tool could use their dependencies
from the ones already installed on the host (execpt wget).

For code readability and to avoid bugs, I proposse to implement only one of
the above installation scenarios. All have their pro and cons, thus I have no
preference for any of them at this time.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia