Change package version?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 15:54:24 PDT 2006

On 8/17/06, Alan Lord <lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> M.Canales.es wrote:
> >
> > At this moment the more easy way is to use the "Working copy" menu option.
> > That allow to use a localy-modified version of the book you want to build.
>
> What format should the "Working Copy" take? A simple copy of the .html
> source or something else?

About a month or so ago, I messed around with building a system using
the headers_install set from the kernel. What I did to get it working
in jhalfs was this.

1. Run ./jhalfs so it checks out the current LFS book and and does the
command processing.

2. Go to /mnt/lfs/jhalfs in a second terminal. Wipe out the
lfs-commands directory and the Makefile since you'll want to be sure
they're regenerated.

3. Enter the lfs-svn-`date` (can't remember what it's called)
directory where the book sources are. This is the essence of the
change. The commands need to be in the source XML of the book because
that's where jhalfs gets commands and generates the Makefile from.

This kind of sucks if you're not familiar with the book. The nice
thing is that this directory is a working svn tree, so you can do `svn
diff' at any time to see what you've changed. For an example of adding
packages, setting the order, etc., see this diff:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/lfs-trunk-headers_install.diff

Manuel's suggestion of the "Working copy" is initially pulling from
svn, doing your changes and then telling jhalfs where this tree is.
This will keep jhalfs from trying to pull it's own tree. This is much
better, but what I've described above might help get you going
initially.

4. After you've made the changes you want, go back to the first
terminal and do ./jhalfs again. It will find an existing svn tree and
use that, but regenerate lfs-commands and the Makefile.

5. Run jhalfs as you normally would to build (I go to /mnt/lfs/jhalfs
and "sudo make", but that's just me). Find out your fix didn't do
exactly what you wanted it to do. Or find out that you need to
hard-code something in the jhalfs scripts. Repeat steps 2-4.

--
Dan