Jhalfs as a package manager?

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 16 09:00:07 PDT 2006

David Barron wrote:
> I'm trying my first installation of 6.2 and just became aware of jhalfs.  I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.  Aside from a few MD5 sum's not matching for m4, udev-config and lfs-bootscripts it's worked beautifully.
>
> Seems that it's building the development book instead of the stable book though.  Is that right or did I do something to tell it too?
  If you wander over to
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/alfs/wiki/SupportedBooks you will find
the commands for building development or release books (default is
development)

> It occurs to me that with a simple internal database of what version of each package it has installed and an external database of more recent versions to compare against, jhalfs could become the long-searched-for package manager for lfs.
   There is a PM available for jhalfs as a patch, PACO. There are no
plans to force a particular PM on users by embedding on in the code.