[RFC] kernel tree to /usr/src [was: Re: jhalfs and kernel tree]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 10:15:51 PDT 2006

On 8/15/06, Csaba Henk <csaba-ml at creo.hu> wrote:
> (Cross-posted from lfs-automatic; I suggest to post followups to lfs-devel)
>
> Based on the following conversation on lfs-automatic, I ask your opinion
> about adding commands to LFS and CLFS books' kernel compiling stanza
> which save the kernel tree after the build to /usr/src, similarly to the
> HLFS build process.

I would be happy to add instructions to save the kernel source tree to
some location, but not /usr/src. This location implies a really poor
practice of symlinking in /usr/include/linux to the current kernels
headers. I know me, you, and most of the people that read this post
know not to do that. But I'd rather guard against any LFS newbie who
might be under the misguided impression that this is a good idea. I've
built a handful of packages beyond BLFS that look for /usr/src/linux*,
which shows this horrible notion is not dead.

So, I'd rather save the kernel source in another directory. Maybe
/usr/share/linux. That's where I put them in my builds. You can always
move the tree to whatever location is needed by another package which
_really_ needs the kernel source.

--
Dan