[RFC] kernel tree to /usr/src [was: Re: jhalfs and kernel tree]

Csaba Henk csaba-ml at creo.hu
Tue Aug 15 08:58:53 PDT 2006

(Cross-posted from lfs-automatic; I suggest to post followups to lfs-devel)

Based on the following conversation on lfs-automatic, I ask your opinion
about adding commands to LFS and CLFS books' kernel compiling stanza
which save the kernel tree after the build to /usr/src, similarly to the
HLFS build process.

The context could be provided for readers so they could know that they
can safely skip this step. It would be beneficial for automatic builds
(provided most jhalfs users prefer to keep a copy of the kernel
tree around).

And anyway, it would be aesthetic to apply an uniform approach for all
*LFS projects in a case which seems not to interfere with the scopes
of the projects.

I'm sorry if I beat a dead horse, but the fact that there is no consesus
here lets me imply that it's not the case.

On 2006-08-15, M.Canales.es <manuel at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> El Martes, 15 de Agosto de 2006 16:33, Csaba Henk escribió:
>
>> I find this annoying -- usually people keep around kernel sources so
>> that they can compile third party stuff against it or modules which were
>> disabled at the time of building the kernel image.
>
>> Could you have an option which implies that the source tree won't be
>> deleted?
>
> That implies that the kernel sources should be moved to /usr/src with the
> right ownership. That is done only when building HLFS due that the commands
> to do that are actually in the book.
>
> If you can convince the LFS and CLFS teams to use similar kernel build
> instructions than HLFS, then jhalfs will keep the kernel tree by default.

Yes, lets make a try then :)

> Another option is to edit the Makefile to replace the lines that deletes the
> kernel tree by commands to place it elsewhere.

I'm interested in batch jhalfs builds. Patching/seding the Makefiles
would be too hacky and fragile. It seems better then to opt for skipping
the kernel build (at least, for this one there is a knob!) and add a
separate kernel build script.

Csaba