BLFS TODO package tracking.

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 14 13:47:27 PDT 2006

El Lunes, 14 de Agosto de 2006 18:28, George Boudreau escribió:
> Manuel,
>    Adding a version to the tracking name might not be that difficult. If
> you had previously installed a different version what action(s) would
> you expect.
>
>    If the action is 'always install' newer packages how do we handle
> upgrading packages where the 'new package' is a dependency of a
> previously installed package. Also there is the problem of existing
> configuration files.
>
>    Maybe the tracking file should be more than just the package name. A
> file (package-x.y.z) containing the dependencies installed for that
> package?  If we go much further than this it will look like a
> package-manager.

I expect something very simple.

My idea is can to say to the user:

"package.1.1 is installed on your system, now BLFS has been updated to
package.1.2"

No more. Is for the user to decide if he want to upgrade it and how to solve
that type of dependencies. As you said, go beyond that is for a package
manegament tool, not for us.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia