jhalfs: why su - (user)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 09:42:55 PDT 2006

On 8/4/06, George Boudreau <georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>    ..Dan's work made me think of this..
>    If we can pick and our user/group and all looks well is there a
> reason we should keep ... su - $(LUSER)... at all. You will still need
> root priv or sudo to build the final stages so privileges are not an
> issue. As usual it is easier to state than code and gremlins pop up in
> the least likely places.

I should probably start another thread, but here's one other thing
that I think could be fixed.

When doing the build with sudo, it bombs in a couple places where it
expects the superuser path (/sbin:/usr/sbin). Particularly, the chroot
call fails in Ch. 6. This is just a minor issue, and it was easy to
just add them to my path and restart. Also, it's not really true to
the book where you're expected to _be_ root, not just get his
privileges.

However, I was thinking that it might be more robust to just prefix
the standard path somewhere in the build.
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:$PATH or whatever. We all know that
it get's set at any important time in the build. There's just a couple
parts where you're really relying on the host setup.

Just a thought, and it wouldn't bother me if it was ignored.

--
Dan