jhalfs Configurable User

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 14:16:52 PDT 2006

On 8/3/06, George Boudreau <georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>    What do you think of Dan's idea. Although it goes against the books
> layout where each book has it's own user { lfs,lfs,hlfs } it has some
> merit.  { I know that somewhere there in all the code we wrote there is
> a 'gotcha' }

I fixed a couple things in HLFS/master.sh where it was still lfs and
not hlfs. It's in the wrt_ for populating .bashrc.

Yes, it's not true to the book, but that wasn't the motivation.
Hopefully it wouldn't inspire people to use this functionality just
for the hell of it. I was more trying to address a situation where the
system wasn't flexible enough for me. If you think about a random
person trying to build LFS, there are special circumstances where they
can't follow the book word for word.

But the more useful benefit is in the reduction of redundant code. It
certainly doesn't make you feel good to have two sets of functions
where the only difference between them is one word.

When I get some time, I think I'm going to dig through jhalfs for a
while. The main reason would be for refactoring the code. Just getting
things cleaned up and consistent across the board. The other thing
would be to look for ways to make more of the functionality common.

--
Dan