jhalfs Configurable User

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 3 14:01:11 PDT 2006

Manuel,

   What do you think of Dan's idea. Although it goes against the books
layout where each book has it's own user { lfs,lfs,hlfs } it has some
merit.  { I know that somewhere there in all the code we wrote there is
a 'gotcha' }

   The code Dan talks about in HLFS & CLFS2 is early code for reducing
the total number of functions in common_functions. They exist in both
master.sh files so I could make the changes slowly and when it was bug
free I would move a single copy to common_functions and delete the
copies in each master.sh.

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> One thing that was bugging me when I was trying to build on anduin is
> that the unprivelaged user is hardcoded to lfs everywhere. Normally
> this isn't a problem, but on anduin, I don't have privelages to add
> and delete users. Well, maybe I do, but I shouldn't do it.
>
> In order to build as my normal user, I had to hack up LFS/master.sh
> and common/common-functions. What I figured would be easier was if the
> user and group were defined in the Makefile.  Then you could use
>
> make LUSER=dnicholson LGROUP=dnicholson
>
> I changed all the wrt functions to use these values. This method has
> the added benefit that you could toss out all the special clfs
> functions that only change the user. I added the above variables to
> LFS/config and CLFS/config.
>
> This probably broke HLFS and CLFS2 (which have their own functions for
> handling this and the values of user can't be overriden in the
> Makefile). It's just proof of concept, though.
>
> --
> Dan

<snip>