couple jhalfs-X thoughts (long.. sorry.)

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 26 00:06:04 PDT 2006

Jeremy Byron wrote:
> M.Canales.es wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> It'd be nice to be able to optimize a build and be able to compare ICA
>> <snip>
>> If you want to create such patch, take a look to the wrt_unpack*() functions
>> inside common/common-functions.
><snip>
> I'll get back to you in a bit.

The test build with my optimization patch of jhalfs-2575 completed
successfully.  Patch is attached.  I can send you the build logs if
they're of any use to you too (only used test level 1 though).

Limitations:
- Doesn't optimize {C,H,B}LFS
  (trivial addition if the other books behave the same as LFS)
- Can't enable/disable optimization from command-line
  (not necessary, would be nice)
- Can't set default optimization level from command-line
  (not necessary, would be nice)
- Doesn't make me coffee. :(
- ?

Bit of an aside, but I'm not sure what the 'wrt_' stands for in the
function names. 'Write,' as in to the makefile, perhaps? Anyhow, I
mimicked it for wrt_optimize() since it performs much the same job as
wrt_unpack*() and such.

Oh.. I changed wrt_target() and LFS/master.sh slightly too.  Not too
sure why you don't end the makefile command in wrt_target() and then in
LFS/master.sh finish it with 'true'.  I don't think makefile command
sequences should continue across functions - just makes headaches.  I
ended the command sequence in wrt_target() and removed the 'true' line
from LFS/master.sh.

Regards,
Jeremy.