couple jhalfs-X thoughts (long.. sorry.)

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 25 21:56:54 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
><snip>
>> It'd be nice to be able to optimize a build and be able to compare ICA
><snip>
> If you want to create such patch, take a look to the wrt_unpack*() functions
> inside common/common-functions.

Just a bit of a heads-up.. I have a simple patch to allow optimizing LFS
builds and am running a test now; examining the Makefile though, it
looks fine.  I haven't added support to ?LFS because I'm not so
concerned with them and haven't time to test them yet, but it should be
as easy as dropping a couple function calls in place for anyone who
wants to try it.

Assuming this build completes ok, I'll clean up the patch and submit it
to you.

There are two config files:
common/opt_config: Enable/disable optimization
                   Select default optimization level
                   Define each optimization level
  ie: OPTIMIZE=1
      DEF_OPT_LEVEL=1

      CFLAGS_0="unset"
      CXXFLAGS_0=$CFLAGS_0
      LDFLAGS_0="unset"

      CFLAGS_1="-O3 -march=athlon-fx -pipe -s"
      CXXFLAGS_1=$CFLAGS_1
      LDFLAGS_1="-s"

common/def_opt_override: {$name $optLvl \n}
  ie: gcc      0
      binutils 0
      glibc    0

Anything not defined in common/def_opt_override is optimized with the
default level, anything in common/def_opt_override is optimized with the
settings defined for the assigned level.

Pretty straight forward, and it seems to work well.  I'll get back to
you in a bit.

Regards,
Jeremy.