couple jhalfs-X thoughts (long.. sorry.)

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 23 02:19:45 PDT 2006

El Viernes, 21 de Abril de 2006 23:57, Jeremy Byron escribió:
> I've been following the last half-dozen jhalfs-X builds over the
> alpha/udev_update merge and found it most impressive.  I've built LFS
> manually dozens of times, but I don't see that happening again.  Nice
> job!

Many thanks.

> I do have a couple suggestions/requests though..
>
> 1) local MD5SUM support
>
> The book was out of sync w/ jhalfs-X for a while (files missing from the
> MD5SUM file) which resulted in packages not downloading and the script
> stopping until I manually downloaded files and ran make myself.

That will happens always due that FTP mirrors are updates few days after the
books. Thus in that meantime newer updated packages/patches will be missing
in the MD5SUM file

> I ended up patching common/common-functions more or less as so:
>
>     download "" MD5SUMS
> +  if [ -f ~/local_md5sums] ; then
> +    cat ~/local_md5sums >> $BUILDDIR/sources/MD5SUMS
> +  fi
>
> Better would be to add a local md5sum file to the beginning to override
> any possible conflicting sums but I'm sure you get the idea.  It'd be
> nice to have the ability to override (or add to) the downloaded MD5SUMS
> file by command-line switch or the common config file.  I keep all of
> the sources I download, so it's not much of a stretch to maintain my own
> md5sum file for them.  Your script can already be set to look through
> and update my source archive, why not my md5sums so they're guaranteed
> to match?

Good proposal. We will see how that could be implemented.

> 2) Optimization
>
> It'd be nice to be able to optimize a build and be able to compare ICA
> results between optimized and non-optimized builds.  Can't really just
> export C{,XX}FLAGS and/or drop the vars into the lfs user's .bashrc
> because it'd break some packages.
>
> Any chance of adding support for this in the script?

Well, the big issue with that is that at least I know nothing about build
optimization settings.

> Anyhow, I don't mind tinkering with this myself and submitting a patch
> if you find it worth including - I don't mean to pile it all on you.
> But beyond the simple md5sum patch, I'm not too familiar with the inner
> workings of the script at the moment.  Any suggestions on _where_ the
> setting of C{,XX}FLAGS should be done would be a big help.  It would
> have to be in such a place that the variables are set if the build is
> resumed part way through - on entering chroot, i guess.  Not sure if you
> enter chroot for each package or if you stay in it and build as many
> packages as possible though.  Each time a package is about to be built
> then, it could just look it up in the optimization levels file and
> set/unset the variables accordingly.

Yes, we enter to chroot for each package. Also, an envars file is created for
each package build to export the package sources directory. That envars file
could be the best place to add speciffic optimization settings for each
package.

If you want to create such patch, take a look to the wrt_unpack*() functions
inside common/common-functions.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia