jhalfs

John Kelly jakelly at shtc.net
Mon Sep 26 11:45:59 PDT 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:48:19 +0200, MCanaleses
<manuel at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> alfs is a very different beast.

Before I discovered diy-linux, I was using alfs.  But when I saw that
diy-linux was easier to adapt for my own local needs, I developed my
scripts, and started using diy-linux.

>The goal of jhalfs is to try to create an uniform framework for developers and
>testers to do quick LFS builds using the actual book's commands and logging
>their outputs.

That was not the goal of developing my "diyl" scripts, but the result
is virtually the same.

For software builds, commands are taken verbatim from the diy-linux
book, and could be taken from the lfs book as well.

However, the book commands for creating the environment, entering the
unprviledged user environment to build the tools, and then performing
the chroot, will not work, verbatim, for a 100% automated build.

>From those commands, I took portions which were usable, and modified
them or added what was needed to automate the entire build 100%.  Thus
in a few select places, I override the "environmental" book commands
with what is required for 100% automation.

So either you have a 100% by the book build, or you have a 100%
automated build; without changing the book, you cannot have both.

But why worry about that?  It's easy enough to wrap the environmental
portions of the book with commands needed for 100% automation, yet you
still build all the packages by the book.  That virtually meets the
original goal of jhalfs, and only lacks automated testing of some
environmental commands.

I don't think it's that important to have those tested with automation
too, but if anyone does, then they must accept the fact that it is
impossible without changing the book.  So either they must change the
book, or accept less than 100% automated testing.

> I'm more good with XSL than with shell scripts or Makefiles ;-)

Mostly what's needed is the XSL to extract the lfs book commands into
a structure similar to what Greg did with diy-linux, and then just use
the work I've already done with the scripts.

Believe it or not, it could be that easy.