BLFS 6.1 (chapter 4)

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 17 01:05:54 PDT 2005

Torsten Vollmann wrote:
> Thomas Pegg wrote:
>
>>Once this package is updated on anduin this won't be necessary, as it
>>will be in .tar.bz2 format on there. So I did not apply this part.
>
> But the book has a link to a gz file...

True. The book uses official download links (in most cases), and weird
enough most package maintainers stills hip their packages gz-ed instead
of bz2-ed. The profile, on the other hand, uses the packages on anduin
(the LFS packages server) or it's mirrors (lfs-matrix being the main
mirror). Those packages are unzipped and bz2-ed before they are put
online. This is done for consistency (e.g. it handles special cases like
kerberos) and to preserve space.

Joachim