jhalfs

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 11 14:19:44 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

If you're watching the alfs-log list as well, you may have seen me just
commit a script called 'jhalfs'. The idea behind this script is to help
provide a pure reference build of LFS - something that we really don't
have at present.

nALFS (and many other scripts) can build a good and working LFS system,
but they depend on making sure that profiles are free of errors, or that
they contain the correct commands from the LFS books. This can be a
nightmare to maintain.

The idea behind jhalfs is to parse the commands directly from LFS,
thanks largely to a stylesheet that Manuel Canales has supplied. By
grabbing the commands directly from the book, a pure, by the book, LFS
system can be built without the need for maintaining separate profiles.

Please note that this script is not intended to be *the* alfs, the one
we spent so long discussing and planning. I still would like eventually
to produce that more complex and advanced tool. The purpose of jhalfs is
to provide a simple lightweight tool that can create a pure reference
build *now*.

So far, jhalfs only does the following:

1) Grabs the LFS book from the repo
2) Extracts all the commands, patches and package names
3) Downloads all the patches and packages

If you have a moment, and are interested, please download jhalfs and try
running it: svn co svn://linuxfromscratch.org/ALFS/jhalfs/trunk jhalfs

You'll need wget or curl, libxslt and subversion installed. You'll also
need to have a /mnt/lfs directory ready to be dumped in - the exact
location might be a variable in the future.

Once it runs, you should have all the sources and patches in
/mnt/lfs/sources and the extracted commands in /mnt/lfs/commands.  From
this point I need to start considering exactly how to parse and automate
those commands. I have a few ideas, but I'm opening this up for feedback
now as well.

Thanks,

--
JH