LFS 6.1 Build

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Thu Oct 20 07:16:40 PDT 2005

Rumor has it that John Lane may have mentioned these words:
>Hi Justin, just thought I'd let you know that I have now built 6.1 using
>aALFS without issue.
>
>If you are interested it was on a 1.8G Intel P4 and it took 5 hours 42
>minutes and 7 seconds.

It takes quite a bit longer on my Crusoe 933Mhz Laptop ;-) however, I
didn't save the stats.

>One comment though - I tried using the "jlevel" as suggested in general.ent
>but I found that the package gettext-0.14.3 does not compile if I use jlevel
>= "-j3" as suggested. Removing the jlevel it built just fine.

Gettext barfed on me as well - however, just restarting the build from
within nALFS (without changing the jlevel or my GCC optimizations) built it
just fine - I wonder if it was a minor test that failed, like when one
builds glibc & the math errors pop up.

My GCC flags were "-Os -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" and it
worked fine... so far. I've not had time for heavy testing yet. ;-)

Just using those flags (and not counting the linux source directory) and
stripping the executables, my distro takes up just over 325 Megs. Is there
any other quick-n-dirty tricks to use to reduce that size? I know stripping
libraries can be tricky, so I wanted to do a lot more research before I did
that.

Also, just wondering: What's the preferred quickie way [ of people here ]
of backing up the *entire* partition warts-n-all?
1) dd /dev/hdax | gzip > file on another partition .. or ..
2) tar -zclpPsf /mnt/fat32/HeresMyBackupFile.tgz / [[ excluding /proc et al. ]]

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...