glibc bug in LFS-6.1 and its nALFS profile

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 6 11:36:10 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> So, as this statement applies to the current situation and bug, are you
> saying that the LiveCD should release a 6.1-4 CD with this fix in it? If
> so, then what book and nALFS profile does the CD include? The CD itself
> would be fixed, but the instructions it provides to the user for
> building LFS would still be broken.

Sorry for not being explicit enough.  Basically, as you've already
eluded to, LFS-6.1, the nALFS profiles that are based on it, and the
LiveCD that is dependent on both LFS and nALFS all need to be fixed.
LFS-6.1 obviously can't be fixed in situ, so an errata will be
published.  nALFS would then implement the fix(es) specified by all the
errata that apply to LFS-6.1, and the LiveCD would pick up the fixed
nALFS profiles and also itself be built with the fixes mentioned in any
applicable errata.

Please note though, this is my "ideal world" scenario.  As this is a
voluntary project, and I'm not volunteering to do any of this work
myself, I'll leave it up to the respective projects as to if/when they
want to adopt this approach.  The "easy" alternative is to simply have
errata for the LiveCD and nALFS profiles, basically stating "don't
expect x to work", etc and providing workarounds if there are any.

Regards,

Matt.