die(xsltproc) :)

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 30 09:33:53 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:23:52AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Writing a program in C to save 13 seconds out of approximately 4 hours
> build time seems a bit out of place to me.

:) I expected this kind of reply, and for the most part, I agree with
you. A couple of things:

1) The idea of writing a C parser had been bumping around in my head
long before I was aware of a xsl parser.

2) In light of upcoming work with alfs, I saw the need to get some real
practice with C. More than anything else, that was the purpose of my
writing this. I needed something to practice on.

3) Yes, xsltproc is made for this, and likely it is easier to maintain.
Sometimes I just cringe when I have to build libxml2 and libxslt just to
be able to run jhalfs though.

As I said in my first post, this may not be useful at all to the
project, but it's been fun writing it. :)

--
JH