New design, what is the Goal here?

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Nov 30 02:00:52 PST 2005

On 2005-11-29 21:50:20 +0000, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> rl at nezumi.plus.com wrote:
> >AFAIK people have not proposed a particular type of authentication.
> >What has been proposed is that this authentication is built into alfs,
> >and that alfs is a client/server system.
> >
> >I think this adds a huge amount of pointless complexity. Imagine that
> >three of the 90 machines you want to update are turned off. An email
> >based system would use e-mails built-in store and foreward abilities.
> >An http/cron solution would also let those machines catch up in their
> >own time.
>
> lol. I'm sorry. These solutions you're suggesting don't add pointless
> complexity?

For small scale use, yes my proposal is pointless complexity.
My point is, it is not built into the install tool, so people who
do not need it do not need to make the slightest effort to deal with
it.

> The point is there are *many* different methods that you
> *could* conceivably use now to control several automated builds at once
> using a host of tools that you must first install and configure and sort
> on each machine.

One binary distro for the lowest common denominator can be installed
on every machine, and a custom system for each can be bootstrapped
automatically from that.

> What we want is all this ability tied up nicely in one package that's
> *designed* to automate our builds and manage several machines. We're
> designing the system from scratch, but that doesn't mean that every
> piece of the puzzle has to be our code. We can use security libraries
> that already exist.

Learn from people who have done this already:
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

This is one debian based. It does the bulk of its work in a full linux
environment so it does not have to work with the limits that the debian
installer deals with.

Debian installer grew up when computers could not boot from CD, so its
environment was the size of a floppy. FAI started with the assumption
that it had a modern server to provide its environment. FAI uses
standard tools to do the bulk of its work. Those two factors let the
author achieve his goals quickly, in a way that others would
understand, and the process of doing it teaches the people how existing
tools can be applied in new ways.

> Besides, you're taking all of the fun out of it. ;P

I agree. It's your time  - spend it how you please.

Richard