New design, what is the Goal here?

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Mon Nov 28 13:51:43 PST 2005

On 2005-11-28 16:04:43 +0000, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> In short, several of us thought it would be very useful to control
> several remote builds at once. :)

I did it by:
* build on machine 1, and create an archive of the binaries where the
  web server can see it.
* ssh into machine 2, download and install the archive, and paste the
  commands into an editor.
* ssh into machines 3 to 6, and paste the commands from the editor.
* Machine 7 was 'restored' from a backup DVD to prove that backups
  worked.

Later on, I synchronised the machines with rsync. The only difference
between them was a symlink:
/etc/machines/local -> /etc/machines/$(hostname)

All the files that differed went into /etc/machines/*/ and were
accessed via links to /etc/machines/local.

I still do not get this client/server tool with secure authentication
all done with custom code. NFS and ssh can do the work.

Have fun inventing wheels.

:-)

Richard