SUMMARY: alfs direction

pak_lfs at freemail.gr pak_lfs at freemail.gr
Sat Nov 26 05:00:33 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>> There is one downside. One of the things we will support is multiple
>> systems.
>
>> If you want to change your instructions for a package, you now have to
>> upload those to every system under your management. Some systems might
>> be slightly different, but a lot is the same.
>>
>> If you store profile copies on every system, you need to update them all
>> whenever you want to upgrade a package. If you keep one copy local that
>> the client uses, you only update one script and every system that you
>> maintain will automatically use those changes.
>
>> It's less work that way.

>>Some thing like, '/etc' &  '~/.' wouldbe preferable. A global profile
>>that the server dlds from client and then over writes some modules
>>with the copies that it has and comesup with final profile.

The scenario with multiple systems is my major use-case too. Glad we are in
the same boat!

My proposal is that you have a main profile collection on the client, which is
the only one you usually update manually. Each server has its collection too,
which is 99% percent similar to the client's collection, but has also that 1%
that could be different. If nothing is different in your system then no-prob,
everything is 100% the same. So, a session goes like this:

client: Hello
server: Hello
<session establishment stuff>

client: command_begin
             gcc-pass1 prepare
             gcc-pass1 build
          command_end
server: Request collection sync
<client and server rsync the identical part of their collections>
server: OK, executing profile...
<sends feedback asynchronously>
server: Done

client: bye
server: bye

I don't see where you need to do more work compared to a case where you
just send the raw commands. Even if you look it from a performance standpoint
(IMO not relevant), you only transfer what changed so bandwidth consumption
should be more or less the same. You don 't even need to write the syncing
code as existing rsync/cvsup/svnup will do, just call them the way nALFS does
with wget/curl.

Thanks,
Pantelis