SUMMARY: alfs direction

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 25 14:59:37 PST 2005

pak_lfs at freemail.gr wrote:
> Each host will be slightly different than the others (e.g., different IP), so
> by storing the profiles on the server you could have a slightly different
> profile collection on each remote host (a slight difference in apache
> 'configure' for example), but you just need to broadcast 'execute apach
> configure' to all and each will *do the right thing*, without imposing extra
> "smarts" to the client *or* the server (the code is in the profiles where it
> belongs).

There is one downside. One of the things we will support is multiple
systems.

If you want to change your instructions for a package, you now have to
upload those to every system under your management. Some systems might
be slightly different, but a lot is the same.

If you store profile copies on every system, you need to update them all
whenever you want to upgrade a package. If you keep one copy local that
the client uses, you only update one script and every system that you
maintain will automatically use those changes.

It's less work that way.

--
Gerard Beekmans