SUMMARY: alfs direction

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 25 12:27:08 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> tarball before the above scriptlet is run. If you wanted to have finer
> control over the build process (like isolating the configure, make and
> install parts) it would take some rethinking.

Which is actually a requirement. I've used OpenOffice as an example
lately. If "make" fails, you may do something to fix it. But do you
really want to start from scratch and spend another 10-20 hours(!) when
all you need is a 5 minutes process to finish make and run 'make install.'

So the client should be able to send just the 'make install' command
(it'd just send a modifed script to the server that omits the parts
where it removes the dir, unpacks again, and reruns configure).

Or, shell functions can easily be used for this like we do in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

Client sends entire script to server, but then sends a "run-as" type
command like where it can pass a paramater like "all" or just
"make-install" or whatever function exists for a particular build script.

--
Gerard Beekmans