client <-> server interaction in C

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 23 13:25:29 PST 2005

rl at nezumi.plus.com wrote:
> You have the first spokes in the wheel of ucspi-tcp:
> http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html

I checked out that project. It seems like it would do what we need it to
do, to a point of course. It then wants to starts a remote program which
would be our alfs-server application.

I'm now wondering if it wouldn't be nicer to just make that server app
network aware like we have been talking about. It saves having to have a
second package installed and running.

Ideally I would like the alfs tools to do it all without too many
library or program dependencies. Installing ALFS shouldn't become
annoying by having to first install the right versions of the right
libraries.

We may not have a choice. If we stay with XML for example, we'll have to
use libxml of course. It makes no sense making our own XML parser --
that's way too much work. In such cases I'm tempted to bundle our ALFS
tool with libxml and have the build system build the bundled libxml
version if the user desires. It saves time and there's only one download
to perform.

What do you guys think of this?

--
Gerard Beekmans