Newbie questions

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Nov 23 02:42:41 PST 2005

David Lyne wrote:
> Hi.
>
> A few questions from a newbie to ALFS, if you'll humour me.
>
> I have built several LFSs, and I like the control that they give me so
> much that I can't see that I'll go back to any standard distro again.
> However, as the frontpage of the ALFS website says, I am finding
> building each LFS rather time consuming. So, I'd like to look at using
> ALFS.
>
> 1) The message that I get from the website is that nALFS is the way to
> go. Is this right?
>
> 2) I don't know XML. Is this a problem? Can you recommend some reading
> material so that I can start to learn?
>
> 3) Would I be right in thinking that the User Guide for nALFS is not
> likely to be completed any time soon?
>
> Hmm. I'm a bit hestiant about sending this mail. Not sure why, but my
> apologies in advance if I'm asking the wrong questions, or if I'm asking
> questions in the wrong place. Otherwise, many thanks in advance for your
> help.
>
> Dave
> 8o)

Hi Dave,

Here's my take on this (although I have no authority, this is what I
have read from the recent discussions on this list).

nALFS works and "does what is says on the tin" but it has not got any
new development impetus behind it. If you download the latest version
and take a look at the files in the profile - you should be able to work
out fairly quickly what the XML is all about.

There is a new kid on the block - jhalfs - which is script based and
generates a(some?) makefile(s) that build the system for you. The
benefit of this over nALFS is it uses THE book directly. You get what
the book says; exactly.

Editing the nALFS profiles is a bit (very) tedious and is also error
prone... Although it does enable you to customise your build exactly the
way you want it including adding BLFS bits and other stuff just for you.

However, from the discussions recently on this list, I would guess that
nALFS doesn't have a long term future and that the script based system
or a new client/server based system will take its place in time...

Hope this helps.

Alan