Newbie questions

Ali Servet Donmez wnstox at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 02:35:49 PST 2005

--- David Lyne <davelargeuk2 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> A few questions from a newbie to ALFS, if you'll
> humour me.
>
> I have built several LFSs, and I like the control
> that they give me so
> much that I can't see that I'll go back to any
> standard distro again.
> However, as the frontpage of the ALFS website says,
> I am finding
> building each LFS rather time consuming. So, I'd
> like to look at using ALFS.
>
> 1) The message that I get from the website is that
> nALFS is the way to
> go. Is this right?

Right.

> 2) I don't know XML. Is this a problem? Can you
> recommend some reading
> material so that I can start to learn?

You don't have to know any specific XML knowledge,
especially if you're not going to customize much your
profile. In any case, if you're familiar to modify a
configuration-like file, you won't have problems -i
think-.

No XML doc. reccomended by me, please wait for other
ppl to write.

> 3) Would I be right in thinking that the User Guide
> for nALFS is not
> likely to be completed any time soon?

nALFS guide is not complete, as i know; but it is
complete enough to understand what it does, and how it
does; although you can understand how nALFS works just
with looking contents of tarball.

Author: Ali Servet Donmez
E. Mail: wnstox at yahoo.com

If you are having trouble to read some characters, please switch between ISO and UTF char-set(s).