client <-> server interaction in C

Tapio Kelloniemi persistent.spam at thack.org
Tue Nov 22 14:37:13 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 03:22:15PM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
 > Tapio Kelloniemi wrote:
 > >Python, but now in Ada2005. As opposed to the C version, these are much
 >
 > The problem as I see it, nobody besides you knows how to program in
 > Ada(2005). And to learn a new programming language I'm not sure is going
 > to be a great idea as per se either.
 >
 > I'm not entirely opposed to your idea, but I know for myself I have no
 > time to learn Ada. I have to stick with something I know if I am to be
 > able to help out with the coding of the projet.

Python is not very different from C (when syntax is considered). It is
also relatively easy to learn and provides exception mechanisms for
error handling, which C misses. It also allows for much swifter
development than C. It comes with many useful libraries included to
speed up the development even more. But what then comes to the safety of
the Python interpreter running on a critical system as root, I cannot
tell; probably this is not different from running a bash binary as root.

I have long ago learned Python and I think it is worth learning, if
programming languages in general interest the learner. It might also be
a good language (at least a good starting point) for alfs. C is faster,
but harder to debug, and requires a lot of low-level work that has
nothing to do with building an LFS system.

--
Tapio