client <-> server interaction in C

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 22 12:16:45 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> And here I was thinking the discussion was trying to invent ways
> to perform updates, upgrades, etc. on *several* *remote* machines
> at once.

Upgrades, sure. But that's later in the game. We have to also have the
initial build done in the first place. And for that, the LiveCD is one
of the best options.

If you want to do build several machines at once (assuming they're blank
or have no suffecient OS on them) obviously a net-boot setup is nicer,
but even with that, the LiveCD iso would work very well. Just have the
net-boot grab a kernel that's customized to support more network devices
as built-ins (instead of CD hardware), re-adjust the init to have it
grab the CD iso and mount it, then setup proceeds from there just as it
would on the physical CD.

--
JH