client <-> server interaction in C

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 22 12:03:11 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> The problem with a chroot jail in this application is how do you propose
> to update the system? If the server process runs in chroot, then
> whatever this server spawns process wise, will run in that same chroot
> jail. This means you can only update files in chroot, and not upgrade
> any system packages.
>
> If I understand you correctly, it would not get the job done.

It would if the host system already had a '/mnt/lfs' style environment
set up with /tools and so on ready to go. Then the 'jail' would be the
same as the chroot in the book. Not that I am really recommending this.
I'd rather alfs built the entire system from scratch.

Also, I assume that the LiveCD will be the recommended host for the alfs
daemon to be running on. (Obviously we'd still want to support
others...) In the case of the LiveCD, you could wreck the whole system
and the biggest damage done is that your build is interrupted. Just
reboot. :)

--
JH