client <-> server interaction in C

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 22 11:57:50 PST 2005

Roger Merchberger wrote:
> I should say whatever programming language, server protocol etc. we
> decide on,[1] that the server should be perfectly happy running in a
> chroot jail. That way, no matter what, people will be able to set up a
> "subsystem" that if / does get blown out, it doesn't take out their
> entire machine, just the chroot jail.

The problem with a chroot jail in this application is how do you propose
to update the system? If the server process runs in chroot, then
whatever this server spawns process wise, will run in that same chroot
jail. This means you can only update files in chroot, and not upgrade
any system packages.

If I understand you correctly, it would not get the job done.

> [1] BTW, I'm not against C. I'm just going to be of *very* limited help
> to the project if it's chosen... I'll just be the Village Idiot around
> here. ;-) Don't worry, I'm accustomed to it. :-)

I'm not against Python either but then I wouldn't be able to do much
until I learn the language. Not that my way has to be chosen here. I'm
just saying that no matter what we decide on, this will happen with at
least some people from this list.

There's of course more than just coding. A lot of work goes into
figuring out the logic that drives the whole system, how clients and
servers talk to each other (do we write our own language or use
something like SOAP, etc).

--
Gerard Beekmans