client <-> server interaction in C

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 22 11:12:52 PST 2005

> As of right now, my vote is C and only XML if its shown to be *very*
> advantageous. I'd personally rather not mess with it.

Let me put a requirement forth then if we stay with XML.

It has to be easy to update the profiles. It's easy to create a new one,
use a template. But updating one is a pain writing all those XML tags
and custom <execute> commands and what not.

A client would need to have full XML editing support to a profile can
easily be updated.

Alternatively, we can provide master profiles on the LFS server that we
maintain and every client can sync the profiles (kinda like Debian does
its update packages list process). But then it still has to be easier
for us to update them.

If we were to go away from XML and to shell scripts, we can use
functions like configure() make() install() and such, so clients still
have the option to only run portions of a profile, not the entire thing
front-to-back. This is kind of required, nobody wants to wait 20 hours
to compile OpenOffice because the 'install' part failed. You just redo
the install only.

--
Gerard Beekmans