client <-> server interaction in C

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Tue Nov 22 10:51:30 PST 2005

Rumor has it that Jeremy Huntwork may have mentioned these words:
>Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>>The next bit of code I'd like to test out would be the client sending a
>>command to the server which the server will execute. That shouldn't be
>>hard I don't think.
>
>Looks good. :) Except, for the sake of accuracy, you're missing some includes:

[snippety]

>As far as executing, I suppose you could just have the server pass
>whatever text it receives from the client (except if it's in a special
>format) to a system call. Of course, eventually we'd want to figure out
>some authentication.

Authentication could be handled with a simple command line "--allow [insert
IPs here]" like the distccd daemon does, or were you thinking 'command line
parsing' to make sure a command like  "rm /" doesn't do any actual
damage... Both (in some form) would be prudent. ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...