jhalfs TODO

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Tue Nov 22 01:10:26 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:30:34 -0600
Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Where I see BLFS being difficult is the dependencies. It would be
> a hard task to determine what should or should not be installed.
>
> Not even to mention the dependencies that are not in the book.

My preference would be for some short dependency strings.    For instance, I automate the following:

Build-xorg = expat->freetype->fontconfig->libpng->xorg

Build-firefox = xorg->pkg-config->glib-2->cairo->pango->atk
		->libtiff->libjpeg->gtk+2->libIDL->zip->firefox

All so that the new system has enough to read the BLFS book! I have some other dependency strings too (bluefish,openbox,pypanel,sylpheed,lexmark-printer) each is designed to get something I need early in a system build up and running.  I then go back over the builds if I want to include some of the optional deps.

By looking at BLFS this way you avoid complex setups and config files.

R.